Tuesday, August 18, 2015

What did we learn today?

It's been a confusing and busy few days for Alfie.

I'm getting back on a regular work schedule, so mornings are a little less leisurely.

Alfie has been having accidents in his crate and in the bedroom. We are trying to find the sweet spot of pee break timing and crate bedding that doesn't encourage peeing or destuffing or eating. It's frustrating. But not the end of the world.

Tonight, I bring to you several training sessions from this evening. Below are three clips from three separate sessions, with breaks between them.

I started by trying a shaping session to teach him to put his front paws on this frisbee. I'd like to teach him to pivot on a disc and build heelwork from there. But I'm having a hard time adjusting my shaping to meet his needs.



A stationary disc wasn't exciting enough to keep his attention for continued interaction. So I started dropping it into the picture. Increased motion helped. And then I started with a little bit of luring. It's fairly dismal to watch.

Second session I did more luring.



Third session I was afraid I maybe hadn't been teaching him anything at all... so I started with some hand targeting. Thankfully, he HAS learned something!! So I got the disc out again and while I don't have a solid stand on the disc, I'm getting more deliberate foot movement.



I think we will get there. I need to hone my shaping skills and I need to have patience teaching Alfie how shaping works. It takes practice. And I've been so spoiled with Luna, who took so quickly to shaping and just loves it.

We will get there, though. No shame in luring when it's the right time and place. And I will likely begin doing more work with targeting since he's taken very well to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment