Monday, August 3, 2015

I'm smart and I want respect!

I think we all know by now that this isn't so much the education of Alfie (or Fredo as he's becoming known), but the education of his dumb humans.

The first thing I learned yesterday was that there ARE treats that he loves and will work his arse off for. So far, these include food roll (like Natural Balance), string cheese, chicken, salami, and spray cheese. What can I say? The dog's got champagne taste.

This made training INFINITELY easier. We worked mainly on crate training. Because somebody has managed to destroy about $45 worth of crate bedding and is getting crankier and crankier about going in the crate. And the whining is beginning; there was still a lot of whining last night, but it was short-lived and tolerable.

So I am working on crate entry and hopefully going into a relaxed down. Video is of that work. He's starting to understand what the click means. I don't know if you can see it, but there are a few times when he assesses the situation, makes a decision, and then looks at me to see if I'm going to click.

We got a little stuck at one point, and I decided to look into the crate-- at which point, he decided to follow my lead. :) Afterward, when I upped my rate of reinforcement, I got much more success.

That was my biggest, hugest takeaway last night-- I am not clicking nearly enough. I have to up my rate if he's going to ever know what to do. I'm lumping the training day away over here.

At the end, he just did not want to come out. That was nice! We then had a little play session and tried to train a few more minutes, but... it was pretty lackluster.

Takeaway number two: QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD. Short and sweet.

So during the nights, and while we are gone, I'll have this Youtube station playing relaxation music for anxious dogs. I also have this DAP-type spray that has worked well for us in the past. Plus a Zogoflex Hurley and a kong with canned chicken and tripe. Barf. But I'm sure he'll be happy.


IN addition to the crate training, we went to the park. Although I still have to pick him up and put him in the car, he is no long cowering on the seat and peeing on himself. This is progress. The crate training entry went well enough that I think I'll do fine when I apply that to the car.

And I leave you with a few minutes of play time because, well... It's adorable. I mean really. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment